Dear all, nothing is further from the truth. Please look at this.
And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. Truly I tell you, all this will come on this generation.
“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.
1. Jesus was sent to Jerusalem to rescue them. However they refused.
2. The wrath of God is a Jewish phrase that is liken to our “act of God”. It does not mean God is pissed off but simply “a disaster is coming”.
3. The Jews were given 490 years of warning from Daniel. Joel spoke about it. Isaiah spoke about it.
4. Jesus also spoke about it and told them it will happen within 40 years. John the Baptist began his ministry by saying “the axe is already at the root of the tree”.
5. This “disaster” was known as the abomination that causes the desolations. It is the siege of Jerusalem for 42 months.
6. It was necessary for the “disaster” to happen because God wanted to do away with the old covenant.
7. Now does this mean God send the Jews to hell? The answer obviously is no. However God was not going to wait forever for these Jews to repent from the old covenant t to the new. He had already given ample warning. So who was responsible when they were destroyed by the Romans? It was their own fault. Remember they said “let his blood be upon us and our children” or “our generation”.
8. So it’s not true that God in his anger destroyed all these Jews which resisted the new covenant.
9. That’s what Peter meant by it is God’s will that everyone would come to repentance and no one would be lost. Hence God waited for “the last day” before he allowed the Romans to lay siege in Jerusalem.
10. The Jews in Jesus generation believed Jesus and left Jerusalem when Gauis was first defeated just before Titus took over Vespasian’s army. The Jews who believed Jesus thereafter left Jerusalem as warned by Jesus. These were the early Christians. Since they believed in Jesus they received “salvation” from this onslaught by the Romans.
Now does this mean God judged the Jews?
The answer is yes and no.
Jesus said there is a sin that cannot be forgiven. While many attached to sinning against the Holy Spirit, what Jesus actually said was this.
But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”
So you see it wasn’t God who judged them. It was the Jews who called judgment among themselves. However they fell “under the judgment of God”.
God was never “pissed off” with the old covenant Jews. However they were becoming obsolete. What is obsolete will pass away. Jesus invited them to a life under the new covenant. Sadly they rejected the same.
Jesus in a way for-knew this. Already at the beginning of the ministry he said.
7:3-5pp — Lk 6:41, 42
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
“Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.
Ask, Seek, Knock
7:7-11pp — Lk 11:9-13
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
The open door is the door to the new covenant.
Please share this out so that people’s mindset will be rectified.