I am of the opinion when Revelation speaks about the devil and his angels were cast into the lake of fire, it is not literal.
There are a few things you must understand before you say I am wrong.
1. Did you know that Moses did not meet God at the burning bush but an angel?
“This Moses, whom they rejected, saying, ‘Who made you a ruler and a judge?’—this man God sent as both ruler and redeemer by the hand of the angel who appeared to him in the bush.
2. Did you know that Law was given to Moses by Angels?
you who received the law as delivered by angels and did not keep it.”
3. Did you know at Mount Sinai, the Jews were placed under the administration of Angels?
For since the message declared by angels proved to be reliable, and every transgression or disobedience received a just retribution,
You made him for a little while lower than the angels; you have crowned him with glory and honor,
4. The temple worship was called by Paul as the worship of Angels?
These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind,
5. John says Jesus appeared to destroy the work of Satan. Did you know what Jesus really destroyed was the Old Covenant and the temple worship? When he return in AD70, he destroyed Jerusalem and the temple? So what he really destroyed was the Law?
1 John 3:8
The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.
For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
6. Did you know that the temple was on top of a mountain in Jerusalem?
7. Did you know Paul referred to that mountain as Sinai?
Now Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia; she corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children.
8. Did you that Jesus said that Jerusalem will be cast into the sea if you have faith?
And Jesus answered them, “Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen.
9. Did you know in Revelation 8 John saw that the temple was cast into the sea of the Gentiles and was set on fire for months?
The second angel blew his trumpet, and something like a great mountain, burning with fire, was thrown into the sea, and a third of the sea became blood.
10. Did you know that when Jesus was referring to the worms that do not die and fires that do not end were referring to the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple and not hell?
‘where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.’
Now look at this.
And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.
Jesus was quoting the massacre of the Jews during the Babylonian attacks. He was saying it will happen again when the Romans attack Jerusalem.
11. Did you know that Satan brought Jesus to a mountain and showed Jesus the kingdoms after he led him to the top of the temple in Jerusalem and that mountain is Jerusalem?
Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
12. Did you know when John said the whole world was under the influence of the evil one he meant that the devil used the law to control you?
1 John 5:19
We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.
This is how he did it.
Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed.
13. Did you know that Paul said in Galatians 1 the Law is the other gospel that was brought down by the Angels?
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.
You can see it here.
Why then the law? It was added because of transgressions, until the offspring should come to whom the promise had been made, and it was put in place through angels by an intermediary.
14. So when Paul mention Satan is the Prince of the air, did you know he was speaking about the meeting place between man and God, which was the veil between the holy of Holies and the Holier place? Did you know Jesus now takes that place and that you are seated there with him. The new veil is the body of Christ!
Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh,
15. Did you know that’s how you are caught up in the air? You became the new temple.
16. Did you know Jesus called the Pharisees the children of the devil? What this means is that they are children of the Law?
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
The thief here is the Pharisees, Priests and the Scribes.
17. Did you in 1 Tim Paul says teaching the Law to the righteous is teaching doctrine of Devils?
1 Timothy 1:8-9
Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers,
1 Timothy 4
Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,
18. Did you know the word “forever and ever” is actual “from age to age” in Revelation 20?
and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
The word there is “aeon”. It should be translated from the Mosaic age to the Messianic age. That’s exactly what the destruction of Jerusalem did.
19. Did you know “Angels” could also mean “messengers”? So the devil and his messengers could easily mean the old covenant and the teachers of the Law, priests and the Pharisees?
20. Jesus called Simon Satan because he knows not the things of God but men. By that he meant the old covenant?
But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.”
21. Revelation also tells us that the people overcame the devil by the blood of Jesus. The blood of Jesus brought an end to the sacrifices under the Law. That’s how they overcame the “devil” by the blood.
And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.
Now look at this.
Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin.
The context here is the blood of Jesus compared to the blood of Bulls and goats.
So I seriously believe that Revelations 20 is a thing of the past and that the “devil” there is not some evil actual dragon but the old covenant or the spirit behind it.
Someone told me after I explained it to him. “Shouldn’t we must follow back what we believe in the beginning.”
I think the reading of scriptures in its context is key to understanding scripture.
However if we say “Shouldn’t we must follow back what we believe in the beginning”, we are saying “Let’s keep believing what has been taught to us in the past” even though is wrong.
The definition of insanity is “to do something over and over again and hoping that will produce a different result”.
I am not insane. Neither should the Church be deemed to be.
Satan is already under our feet.
The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.
This was written before AD70. Hence today he is already under your feet.