Some of you would know I am doing a study on Genesis and have been blessed with much revelation. Today I was reading Genesis 4 and Genesis 5 and the list of name therein and I realized there are meaning to the names. I came across this wonderful study and thought I reproduced it for you:
- 1- Adam=D. red, ground—WW. Heb. man—H120 ruddy, human being, mankind—JW earthling man
A human being, ground of mankind
- 2- SETH=D. appoint, compensate—WW Heb. founder—H8352 put, substituted(to place)—JW appointed, set, put.
is appointed, put in place, as a substitute that compensates
- 3- ENOS=D. man, mankind—WW Heb. mortal—H583 a mortal—JW mortal man
for mortal man/mankind,
- 4- CAINAN=D. meaning unknown—WW (none)—H7018 fixed (a nest, chamber/dwelling [erect, nestle, build, occupy]—JW (none)
a fixed dwelling place,
- 5- MAHALALEEL=D. God shines forth—WW Heb. God’s praise—H4111 praise of God—JW praise of God
for God’s praise and out raying,
- 6- JARED=D. servant—WW Heb. descent—H3382 a descent(to descend, go down, fall, bring down)— JW (none)
God’s servant, who descended, went down,
- 7- ENOCH=D.initiated, dedicated—WW Heb. dedicated—H2585 initiated(to narrow, discipline)—JW one trained up, inaugurated
who obediently dedicated himself
- 8- METHUSELAH=D. man of the javelin—WW Heb. man of the javelin—H4968 man of a dart(an adult, a man; a missle, a shoot, a branch)—JW man of the missle.
to be the shoot and branch that was pierced, and brought
- 9- LAMECH=D.meaning unknown—WW Heb. strong—H3929 from uncertain root—JW (none)
- 10- NOAH=D. rest, relief—WW Heb. rest—H5146 rest=quiet—JW rest; consolation
quiet rest; which allowed –
- SHEM=D. renown—WW Heb. renown—H8035 name(honor, authority, character)—JW name, fame
- HAM=D. hot—WW Heb. hot—H2526 hot—JW (none)
- JAPHETH=D. (none)—WW Heb. he enlarges—H3315 expansions(to open, roomy)—JW grant ample space
RECAP: A human being, ground of mankind is appointed, put in place, as a substitute that compensates for mortal man/mankind. A fixed dwelling place for God’s praise and out raying, God’s servant, who descended, went down, obediently dedicating himself to be the shoot and branch that was pierced, brought (strength and) quiet rest; which allowed – honor, passion and blessing.
Righteousness through Jesus!
- 1- CAIN=D. possessed—WW Heb. spear—H7014 a lance(as striking fast)—JW something produced
The swift striking lance of self-gotten righteousness produces
- 2- ENOCH=D.initiated, dedicated—WW Heb. dedicated—H2585 initiated(to narrow, discipline)—JW one trained up, inaugurated—KJV wandering
a narrow, disciplining initiation by God, in the form of
- 3- IRAD=D. wild donkey—WW Heb. fleet—H5897 fugitive(to sequester)—JW (none)
a quick hiding-away, separating
- 4- MEHUJAEL=D. smitten by God—WW Heb smitten—H4232 smitten of God(stroke, rub, erase)—JW struck by God
discipline, stroking (cleaning up) of
- 5- METHUSAEL=D. name of God—WW(see Methuselah) “man of the javelin”—H4967 man who is of God—JW man of God
those called by God; which brings
- 6- LAMECH=D.meaning unknown—WW Heb. strong—H3929 from uncertain root—JW (none)
- 7- JABAL=D. nomadic—WW Heb. stream—H2989 a stream(to flow)—JW (none)
detachment from the physical flow of life
- 7- JUBAL=D. playing—WW Heb. sound—H3106 a stream—JW (possibly, Ram)
- 7- TUBAL-CAIN=D. the smith(of cutting instruments)—WW (none)[tubal=tumult]—H8423 offspring of Cain(“outflow of Cain)—JW (none)
weapons against sin, and
- 7- NAAMAH=D. lovely, beautiful—WW Heb. pleasing—H5279 pleasantness(pleasure)—JW pleasant.
loveliness, beauty and pleasure.
RECAP: The swift striking lance of self-gotten righteousness produces a narrow, disciplining initiation by God, in the form of a quick hiding-away, separating discipline, a stroking (cleaning up) of those called by God; which brings strength, detachment from the physical flow of life, music, weapons against sin, and loveliness, beauty and pleasure.”
Self gotten righteousness.