Myth 18. be sent a strong delusion for not receiving the love of the truth and end up damned because of taking pleasure in unrighteousness. 2Thes 2:10-12
I am finally doing away with the preambles. I think by now you know where the article I am refuting i.e. “70 ways of losing your salvation” is located but for those who are new here it is: http://smashingidols7.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/70-ways-a-believer-can-fall-away/
Also you can follow the refutes by just click to this link: https://hischarisisenough.wordpress.com/tag/70-ways-to-lose-your-salvation/
Right then, let’s get started. Let’s deal with myth 18.
You are most blessed today because this is going to be a very short article. Yay!
You must understand 2 Thes 2 is talking about the 2nd coming and not about the Gentile church at the present time. Let me reproduce the passage to you.
2 Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter —asserting that the day of the Lord has already come.3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness[a] is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.
5 Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7 For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.
Notice these very important things.
- Christians are distinguished in this passage by the term “brothers and sisters” and “you”. “Those who are perishing “ are not counted as believers because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.
- As such they were never saved.
- The term “love the truth” in its context mans the gospel of Jesus Christ. See chapter 1 : “8 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.”
- This addresses the issue of the 2nd coming and it really speaks about his return to the Jews as well as for the Gentiles. See Chapter 1: “9 They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might10 on the day he comes to be glorified in his holy people and to be marveled at among all those who have believed. This includes you, because you believed our testimony to you.” But notice the issue of the anti Christ setting himself up in the temple. i. e. the Jewish temple shows that the people who may be deceive are the Jews and not the Christians.
- What is this delusion Paul is referring to? It is the fact that the anti-christ will sit in the temple and presents himself as the Christ. See chapter 2 v 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God. This is something that the prophet Daniel spoke about in Daniel 11. A great note to read on this would be found here: http://www.ucg.org/doctrinal-beliefs/just-what-abomination-desolation-0/
- The Anti Christ shall step into the Jewish temple and proclaim himself to be God.
- So this is the great delusion. It is aimed at the Jews and NOT the Gentiles. In any event look at the verse again. Those who are perishing in the first place do not love the Gospel of Jesus and ARE NOT SAVED.
If a person is not even saved, how can he thus lose it? You are not counted as “those who are perishing” but as those who are “saved”!